How Much Does Roof Restoration Cost [Updated 2023]
The Cost Of Roof Restoration in Australia
Getting your roof restored will not just make it look much nicer, but it can be a great way to increase the value of your home.
We’re here to help with a quick breakdown of what goes into roof restoration costs, so you can make an informed decision and hopefully save some cash in the long run!
The average cost of roof restoration
The cost of a roof restoration can range from $4,000 to over $15,000.
- For roof cleaning, the cost can range from $250 to $500 depending on the condition of the surface.
- Spot repairs cost between $200 and $500. With varying costs based on the size of the issue.
- Metal roof repairs cost approx $48 to $58 per square metre.
- Tile roof repairs cost approx $55 and $65 per square metre.
- An average sized metal restoration is estimated to cost around $2500
- Larger tiled roof restoration can range from around $4,000 to as high as $20,000.
Average Price For a Typical House
The cost of restoring a roof per square metre (m2) typically lessens for bigger roofs. This is because the setup expenses and other charges are more evenly distributed. To give you an idea, you may have to spend:
- $28 to $38 per m2 on a smaller roof
- $22 to $28 per m2 for a medium-sized roof
- $17 to $22 per m2 when dealing with a larger roof
What Factors affect the cost?
- Roof size and pitch. Bigger roof, greater is the total restoration cost.
- Roof material. More expensive materials will naturally result in higher costs.
- Existing damage. he more extensive existing repair work, the higher will be restorative expenses for you.
- Roof accessibility. Steeper roof pitches or complex structure may increase labor charges as work gets trickier/takes longer time to finish up your project depending on roof designs & ease of movements.
- The age of the roof. Older roofs often require more time to prepare which increases costs
- Previous repairs. Whether or not the roof was formerly painted or restored.
What is involved in roof restoration?
A roof restoration service essentially means bringing an old or damaged roofing back up to new and fresh conditions. It usually includes cleaning, repairing or replacing broken tiles, re-pointing ridge cappings and painting. It will also include applying primer and protective coatings on the entire surface.
Metal roof restoration
Opting for a metal roofing (like Colorbond) are great choices. They can initially saved time on installation or seemmore cost-effective upfront. But sometimes they will also need restoring. Common reasons to restore metal roofs include faded paintwork due to sun exposure. Or rust and corrosion issues arising from continuous rain and moisture exposure.
Roof tile restoration
On the other hand if your home has traditional terracotta or concrete tiles, they can chip easily in harsh weather conditions. So they might also be needing repair or replacement due to regular wear & tear. Often damage from extreme heat or hailstorms is unavoidable. Some common signs revealing tile roofs need restorations are mainly cracked or broken pieces. These can cause leaks and mould growth.
How can I finance a complete roof restoration?
You can finance a complete roof restoration by taking out a loan from your bank or another financial institution or you may be able to use credit cards to make the purchase.
How can I find a reliable roof restorer?
The best way to find a reliable roofing company is to do some research online. Always read reviews on trusted sources, and get referrals from friends and family. You can also ask what their experience in restoring roofs and request photos of previous jobs.
How do I get quotes?
We recommend you contact several different roofing companies in order to compare services, costs, and warranties offered by each one. Getting atleast 3 quotes to compare gives you a range of prices to choose from.
Can I do it myself?
Depending on your knowledge and experience with home repairs, you may be able to do some of the work yourself. However, many homeowners opt to hire professional contractors for these types of projects due to their expertise and safety concerns.
How long does a roof restoration last?
Typically, a properly maintained roof should last up to 15-20 years. How long a roof lasts also depends on the material being used, local weather conditions, and other factors such as roof pitch.
How long does a roof restoration take?
The time required to complete the job will depend on the size and type of roof. As well as any extra repairs needed along with the installation process itself. However typically it could take anywhere from 2-6 days.
How much does a roof replacement cost?
The approximate cost for reroofing an average-sized 3 bedroom family home is between $6,000 and $20,000. Replacing a metal skillion roof with Colorbond will typically require between $6,000 to $10,000 of costs while replacing tiles with Colorbond could cost up to $20,000. An existing asbestos cement roof can be replaced with Colorbond material at an estimated price of between $15,000 and $20,000. To avoid an expensive roof replacement we recommend to get regular inspections.
As you can see, costs can vary greatly depending on factors like the type fo roof, how big it is and what kind of materials you use. It’s essential to be aware of these aspects when estimating the cost for your roof’s unique situation. Remember, a well-maintained roof not only looks better, it also offers better protection against the elements. Plus looking after it means you can potentially save you from costly repairs down the line.
So take some time to evaluate your roof’s condition and get annual inspections by a roofing contractor. Then you can make an informed decision on whether restoration is necessary. So your home (and wallet) will thank you!